Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The Abundance League

As I was purusing the blogsphere in search of funding opportunities for OHPAA this morning, I came across an organization called "The Abundance League." Many years ago, one of my mentors taught me to think in terms like, "Other people have everything I need in the world, and they will happily give it to me if I give them what they need." The Abundance League seems to operate on that principle.
In the Abundance League Manifesto they say:




We believe that abundance flows from helping each other. That mutual aid,
collaboration, and interdependence lead to abundance in all it's forms - health,
wealth, happiness, friendship, know how, great experiences, and more.



That scarcity is created by anything that keeps us from helping each other. That
anything blocking increasing levels of cooperation cheats humanity of its full
potential. That beliefs, behaviors, and social divisions that keep us from
helping each other lead to poverty and violence.



That the purpose of our lives is to be of service to each other. That it is our responsibility to understand our unique abilities and passions, design a life of service that uses these for our own fulfillment and to the best advantage of others, and to find like-minded collaborators to advance our service projects. That this is not only our responsibility, but also one of the most powerful sources of purpose, meaning,
and joy to do the work we were meant to do.


Taken in this context, my job as the Development Director is to help others (our donors and patrons) to reach their objectives through helping us (OHPAA and the Empress) to reach ours. This is true of all the different aspects of what we do at the Empress and for OHPAA. Volounteers volunteer because they get something back from the experience.
I would like to start an Abundance League chapter in Magna. The meetings sound like a lot of fun for everyone, and would probably be profitable for everyone.
If you are interested, leave a comment or send an email to twimmer@empresstheatre.com

1 comment:

Red said...

This is an interesting idea. I'm not sure how it would work but it sounds like it could be good for anyone involved. I don't have a lot of free time, but I would be willing to help when possible.